Friday, April 20, 2012

Chisel and Mouse architectural models

A few weeks ago I was pleased to receive an email from Chisel and Mouse, a small British company that makes high quality plaster architectural models. They offered me a sample and I took them up on it of course, choosing the beautiful door surround of FreeMasons' Hall in London. The detailing is superb and the quality is very very good -heavy enough to be a doorstop if one so chose. They offer a number of modern architectural models such as DC's own greyhound terminal, the Guggenheim museum, Buckingham Palace, amongst others.FreeMasons' Hall in London was designed by the architects Henry Victor Ashley and F.Winton Newman and was completed in 1933 in the Art Deco style as a memorial to the 3,225 Freemansons who had died in combat during WWI. I'll definitely be keeping Chisel and Mouse as a reference for future gifts; definitely check them out!

15 comments:

Nostalgically Yours said...

That's a very fancy doorstop! Very beautiful.

the designers muse said...

Very cool models! Would be fun to have some projects modeled in plaster.

The Down East Dilettante said...

I adore plaster models. Being an antique dealer, I too often sell, and too seldom keep, things. One of my all time regrets is a 19th century model of a 17th century french dormer. I must have been mad.

columnist said...

Yes, I saw this in in Homes & Gardens and had a look at their website. I agree the piece you were sent is one of the nicest. BP is a new addition, but I'm looking forward to more in the line. I favour the neoclassical over the modern.

Karena said...

Very unique Stefan!! It is a wonderful piece of a special architectural model.

Xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Windlost said...

How lovely - I love that sort of thing! How is it going with the apartment sale? Swimmingly I hope...

Terri

Mark D. Ruffner said...

The detailing and craftsmanship is very fine — definitely a site to bookmark!

Deana Sidney said...

What a splendid idea. I can think of a few people who would love these as gifts (including myself). Thanks for sharing the resource.

Ann said...

Very cute models and welcome back! How is the apartment thing coming along? I'm so glad you told me about that post about the Walsh house. I was googling it prior to your mentioning the post. I think the house did not mean as much to me until I read her story. I highly suggest you read it; light enough for a beach chair book!

Thombeau said...

I love it!!

Jalon Burton said...

What a gorgeous blog - I just stumbled upon you and have fallen in love! Thanks so much for sharing... I will be back because I am now your newest follower! Have a great day. Jalon

Sanity Fair said...

They do a beautiful job. Embarrassed to say I don't know my own neighborhood that well. I thought when you said Greyhound Terminal that you were alluding to Union Station - not the case! The real GT would be fantastic as a model as well.
-Sanity Fair

Virginia Country House said...

How fantastic. I'm always so intrigued by achitectural models. Off to check them out... N.G.

Acanthus and Acorn said...

Just fantastic, what a great addition to your new home it will beI

Dovecote Decor said...

Love architectural models. I'm hopping over in a minute. Great to see you at HP. Did you get to see the vendor I was telling you about? Will post some of their things in next post. Great to see you at mkt.
Best,
Liz