Saturday, October 8, 2011

Stone houses of Greenwich

I spent a day in Greenwich, Connecticut a few weeks ago (more on that later) and I wanted to share with you some of the amazing houses that I saw driving around.

Many of the houses were built of stone and redolent of English country houses, a look I love, and is suited to the posh greenness of Greenwich.Even the walls surrounding many of the estates ( not mere houses, surely) are also built of stone, whether finished and dressed or rubble walls. Perhaps my favorite use though was on this Victorian house in the village with intermixed painted wood shingles and rubble stone.

8 comments:

pve design said...

If only I had known you were a mere stone's throw away....I would have had you come tour my construction rubble!
pve

The Devoted Classicist said...

There are some fabulous stone houses in Greenwich, including those not visible from a public road. Of the prominent ones, my favorite is the (near) replica of the Petite Trianon!

Karena said...

My first question was going to be...did you see Patricia?!

This architecture makes me swoon. Kansas City has many historical homes made from stone.

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

M said...

I bet that would have been a fun drive with you! I love admiring old houses, esp. in that style. Was just in Seattle recently myself and did the same thing in some of favorite neighbourhoods. Love stone mansions built between 1910 and 1930.
Best,
Michael

Mark D. Ruffner said...

That first image strikes me as a chateau. I'd love a peek inside.

Francine Gardner said...

Next time you are in Greenwich, let me know! I live in a stone house (more modest though as it was the original stable to an old Estate) I do a lot of biking on week ends and never tire of looking at the beautiful old estates along the way. The newer versions of the"Mac Mansion" are unfortunately absolutely garish.
Glad you enjoyed the ride.

Paisley Curtain said...

Great houses rather mansions, I wonder how are they from inside? Waiting for more pictures.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Devoted -saw the petit trianon from the street through the gate!

It was just a quick daytrip so no time for visits unfortunately :-(