Wednesday, June 2, 2010

St. Patricks

First off, I want to thank all of you who were kind enough to email and comment with places to see and things to do while on the West Coast. I now have a full and exciting itinerary! I'm busy packing and wrapping things up before my trip, but I wanted to share a few pictures I took of the charming Irish Catholic church here in Downtown DC, St. Patricks. I love the little wooden tower room above with the leaded glass windows -don't you?
Two entrances to the church's school are still marked boys & girls -something you don't see anymore. Most of the old schools, even public ones here in DC, still have these seperate entrances (although they are now coed).
I remember the horror stories my dad told me about his childhood spent in similar catholic schools in the 1950s. I'm sure they were overly dramaticized but they scared me enough back in the day!

4 comments:

David said...

Have a great trip Stefan. I don't know what it is, but I always feel better in California. Enjoy!

Karena said...

I remembr those years in Catholic schools; and one nun in particuular that I was afraid of!

Karena
Art by Karena

ArchitectDesign™ said...

David, here's hoping I will too!
Karena, my dad made it sound like ALL of the nuns, but he was prone to exaggeration! ;-)

Hollywood forever, Kevin said...

Stefan, I missed your last post, so I'm telling you if you drive down the coast you must stop and stay at the Madonna Inn. If you are going to be at the Castle drive over to Cayucos, it's a funky little beach town w/ great antique malls, fresh fish, and an old worn down pier to watch the surfing. Please if you make down as far as Hollywood look me up! Happy Birthday Kiddo!