Thursday, April 2, 2009

Julia Child's Kitchen

This past weekend I was able to head to the newly remodeled Smithsonian American History museum and saw Julia Child's kitchen! It is amazing how kitchen design has changed. Even the most amateur of us (or even people who don't cook at all!) have fancier kitchens than this. It goes to prove how we just don't need all of that fancy kitchen stuff!
The space was very special to her as it was designed by her husband with extra tall counters to make up for her stature! She filmed a total of 3 different tv series from this TINY room!
I loved the homey feel: painted cabinets, lots of personal touches, and splashes of color everywhere! This is a great example of a kitchen where everything is within arms reach. I love the idea of the pegboard walls to hang everything: so practical! Notice the paintings hung on the front of the cabinets below? What a great idea!
And here we are together :-) Hope you enjoyed the tour!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Stefan!
I love this, I;ve never seen pics of her kitchen before. I love the colors and the homey feel. Wonderful and interesting post (as always)!
xoxo
Judith~

pve design said...

I recently served a recipe, from Julia Child - "Roquefort Balls" and they were deish! Great kitchen, incredible food. Glorious lady.

Chris said...

When I was an event planner in DC we worked alot with all of the Smithsonian museums. We actually did an event in this one while they were doing the set up for the kitchen.

I'm so happy that they did that. It really is quite an interesting display with so much to see. I recommend it to anyone who visits DC.

hello gorgeous said...

Excellent post!

You're exactly right. If you're a good cook, you can cook on a camp stove.

We've become so spoiled.

kathleen said...

The blue on the cabinets is pretty.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! It is such a homey space...it reminds me almost of my grandfathers workshop in that everything you need is out in view and easily "grabbed".

Renée Finberg said...

that is the coolest !!

next time i am up there....i will check it out.

xx

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

How fortunate you are! Wouldn't it have been wonderful to sit at that kitchen table and watch her cook?? I can't wait for the new movie coming out this fall with Meryl Streep playing Julia!!

Unknown said...

like a perfect movie set kitchen.

La Maison Fou said...

Love Julia!! Even now she is a pioneer in cooking ala Frances!!
Leslie
lamaisonfou blog

Thomas said...

great tour!

Pretty Lovely said...

Julia Child's kitchen! I had no idea it was on display.

So getting my butt over there next week.

Julia Child!