Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Fisherman's Bastion

I've been working with stone a lot at work recently, which led me to randomly think of the Fisherman's Bastion in Budapest.Located in the Castle district, it was originally designed by the architect Frigyes Shulek between 1901 and 1903 as an adjacent structure to the Church of our Lady or Matthais Church, out of remaining stones from the nearby old castle wall. It received its name from the neighborhood it rises above, Fisherman's Town.
This point is high above the city and offers spectacular views over all the surrounding neighborhoods - because of the stunning architecture and views, this is the most popular tourist attraction in the city. Hopefully someday I'll get there to see it for myself!

5 comments:

Living the life in The Little City said...

Beautiful photos. I'd love it if you would post some of your work.

Tess Kincaid said...

Oh, this is magnificent! There was a time several years back, when there was a possibility that we would be relocating to Budapest. I ended up not panning out, but I was ready to go in a heartbeat!

pve design said...

I would love to go there.
Looks absolutely amazing.
Chivalry still makes my heart beat!

Julio Muao said...

The church and Fisherman's Bastion are as beautiful up close. They are located in Buda, above Pest. In 2006, I was fortunate enough to visit Budapest and stayed on the Pest side at the Four Seasons Gresham Palace at the entrance to the Lion's Bridge. On the Buda side of the bridge, you can take a ride on the funicular up the hill to the Castle District. Despite the bullet scarred buildings (damage from World War II), the district still retains a medieval appearance. The church has an amazing tile roof that is the result of the Moorish influence upon Budapest. Again, you've inspired me to look for the photos of that travel to share on my blog. Thanks for the great post.

Things That Inspire said...

I have never seen this place, and it is beautiful.