Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Mix n Match

Remember last week when the china of the week was a pattern named Harebell by Coalport? Well, a reader was selling a service of 12 on ebay as fate would have it -she offered me a great deal I couldn't refuse! HIP HIP HORRAY!After getting over the initial thrill of my new purchase, I started to think about how I could use it. The pattern is beautiful but very strong: I need to mix it with some more sedate pieces. Quickly I realized this is harder to do than I thought! I have a small service of monogrammed haviland limoge pieces that you see above, the blue is just a LITTLE off and the gold is a little harsh, but the whites match and it's not AWFUL.
It works a bit better when you use the dinner plate -you can appreciate the Harebell pattern more. I also was disappointed that I couldn't use much of my white china: the whites clash! They all inevitably appeared gray against the brilliant white of the Coalport (gray and CHEAP - like dirty teeth). My rosenthal sansoucci - BAD!This minton underplate from my dinner last week goes PERFECTLY(but of course I don't have a service for 12 in it!).
This picture is just because I was proud of my creative storage! I have a VERY small apartment -where would I put all this china? Well, as luck would have it, the entire set (with the exception of 3 teacups) fits PERFECTLY in my dishwasher that I never use! PERFECT STORAGE! Also, this is very easy access so I can use it often! Fashionista's store extra clothes in their empty kitchens, bibliophiles store books but I store my china in my dishwasher! VOILA!
I should explain that I never use my dishwasher because A. I love to wash dishes, it's relaxing. B. much of my china isn't dishwasher safe and C. I simply need the storage!

16 comments:

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

What a gorgeous find! I have to stay away from the china pages on ebay...for just this reason!! You are a lucky duck...and a clever one as well. The storage idea is genius.

David said...

If you're not using the dishwasher it's ideal for china storage. Well done.

I totally get your finding dishwashing relaxing, I'm kind of the same way about laundry.

Congrats on your ebay score. Get back on there, I really like the way the minton underplate works.

Julio Muao said...

Great find! I especially love the Havilland monogram china. From my view, it seems to work well with the Harebell. I love the scalloped plate, or is it a charger? is it also a Havilland? In any event, you have a great sense of style so just trust your instincts. I think its looks great.

Living the life in The Little City said...

I love the china. How wonderful about the Harebell.

Interesting storage idea, too. I've been doing dishes by hand for four months at the cabin. Funny, how one can become used to not having a dishwasher rather quickly.

erin said...

great idea for storage. love the idea of showing behind the scenes of beautiful spots... i'll post my dark secret of where i store extra books later!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

PTE -I have an addiction to ebay -i TRY to stay away, but one stressful day and you know where to find me!
David - I think it's a combination of the warm sudsy water, the sense of accomplishment you get and the smells of the soap (I use a geranium scented mrs. meyers dishsoap).
BMD - don't have any chargers - thats just the haviland dinner plate (that matches the salad plate in the photo above) and the coalport salad plate.
Kathleen - I had 2 successive apartments without DWs and just got used to it and learned to enjoy dish washing! I've never gone back!

Alex said...

Way to McGuyver more storage. Although I live with a chef, so there's no way in hell that could happen with us. There's no counter space after washing the dishes that can't go in the dishwasher, so we couldn't not use the dishwasher even if we wanted to...

I love McGuyver...and china...I'm such an oxymoron...

Decor Fellow: James Saavedra said...

Oh, this is lovely! I wish I had the knack to pull off fine china, truly. i love minton underplate- I think I could do something with that. And, why not use the dishwasher for storage? After all, don't we really have to wash the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher anyways. I think they should really be called dish rinsers or dish dryers.

edi gardner said...

It was such a pleasant surprise to see you today
I am certain your picture will be on Sartorialist first thing tomorrow

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Alex - I feel your pain! I have ZERO counter space! Luckily I have a glass electric stove top that I use for extra counterspace.

James - oh dearm do I have a knack?? I don't want a "knack"; it makes me sound crazy or eccentric! I just like china! lol I have WAY to much of it,though. I'm like your crazy aunt Gladys who had 15 sets of china and teacups all over her living room.

pve design said...

Eddie Ross, move over. Some things are just meant to be. So glad that these found you as they will certianly have a good home, lots of love and admiration.
Now what will your "registry" be, oh, yes, that's right, the Cartier Tank Watch.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Oh Patricia, I already have 3 sets of 'good' china - there is always room for 1 or 2 more in my registry ;-) I use the 'good' a few times a week though, so not sure if it counts as special. Everyday should be special!

An Aesthete's Lament said...

Why don't you take one of your Harebell plates to a china shop and show various combinations? The trouble with vintage china is that so many people shy away from it because they say they cannot get it to work with anything. Maybe a tutorial for all of us, showing everything from mod to trad combinations?

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Hmm - good idea AAL! I'll have to try that out :-)

laura said...

I will, in fact, be creating a diversion and swooping into your apartment, at which point I will steal your fabulous new china and add it to my own collection.

I am, indeed la, so very jealous.

with love from Pittsburgh...

ArchitectDesign™ said...

You can come over for dinner anytime you want, dearie -no need for stealing!!