Monday, July 21, 2008

Mamma Mia!

If Sex and the City was the best movie of the summer, then Mamma Mia is the MOST FUN! It's always really upsetting to me that my favorite movies get LOUSY reviews....including this one. Well don't listen to the critics -this movie is good fun! Sure, it's a bit campy and corny but it's a musical. Isn't it a law somewhere that musicals need to be a bit corny and campy and hilarious? Trust me -this is one to see if not just for the BEAUTIFUL scenery of Greece! I need to go to Greece!The one thing I could do without is Pierce Brosnan in the movie. I LOVE me some Pierce Brosnan (my favorite 007) but the man is not a comedian and can NOT sing. The only time he got laughs were when he tried to sing (no joke, for real). Everytime james bond broke into song (or a silly outfit) the entire audience broke into laughter!Meryl Streep is the real star of this movie. She can sing very well (was trained as an opera singer in her teens!) and as we all know she can ACT supremely. I am not embaressed to admit she brought a tear to my eye a few times. And I won't give anything away, but stay for the credits; one of the best parts of the movie happens during the ending credits. Also -the soundtrack is amazing (of course). The cast brings some great ACTING to the songs - great updates of Abba classics! check that out too!all photos courtesy of the main movie website linked above.

14 comments:

Dianne said...

I saw this movie on Friday. All I can say is RUN do not walk and get there fast. It is such a happy movie. I loved it. I too had a few tears when the mom sang "Slipping through my fingers". Oh how beautiful the whole thing was. Yes it is corny but so fun and aren't we ready for that?!!

laura said...

Okay--I'm taking your advice! Since I'm on vacation this week (HOOOOORAY!!!), perhaps I'll go by myself (no shame in that!) and enjoy a nice matinee movie of Mama Mia!

with love from Pittsburgh...

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Will you see it in the cute Sq. Hill theaters, or down at the waterfront?

pve design said...

I do want to see this with my neighbor when she returns... so I took my little girl and we went to see
"Kit Kitredge" and loved it. It really made me think about life and how fortunate we are today. My mother
always spoke of the fun she had in hard times and this movie shows just that through the eyes of a child.
My daughter loved it too!

porter hovey said...

Oh my!! I'm just sooo excited to see this. Of course, right after Batman. This is why summer is great!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I haven't seen batman yet, PH, but I hear it's really great!!

Paul Pincus said...

it's terrific.

meryl streep is so amazing! everything she does is brilliant...from sophie's choice to one true thing to mamma mia!

she also looks insanely gorgeous in this film ; )

ArchitectDesign™ said...

And most importantly to me, Paul -she is aging gracefully!

Topsy Turvy said...

I'm planning to see it this weekend - can't wait! Glad to know you liked it.

-Lana

Oh, I saw Great Expectations, as you suggested, and it was great! LOVED Ethan Hawke, although the Ca d'Zan was a bit messy and overgrown :)

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Lana - on the dvd (great expectations) there is an 'extra' that briefly describes how they used the house and used computer animations to make it look all overgrown and delapitdated. That was the first time I had seen the house -so when I saw pictures of how it actually was, I was probably in as much shock as you were seeing it in the movie! I'm glad you liked the movie! My favorite part is when he comes into the restaurant to get her and she has that show-stopping Donna Karan dress on and they dance in the rain with the romantic / exciting music getting louder and louder! SO GOOD!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Lana (and whomever)
PS - in the party scene when the opera lady is walking around singing *i saw no shadow of another parting* -thats actually dubbed and that is the voice of Kiri Te Kanawa (about whom I've posted before!)

The Nerdy Fashionista said...

I saw it too--loved it--especially loved the chorus of dancing boys in flipper fins!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Yes, NF, that was fun (and hot!)!!

Anonymous said...

This is the home of a friend of mine. It is actually in Mainland Greece (Pilio) and not on the island.
You being a architech, you might find interesting that due to to the earthquakes and the lack of cement (I think) they build the house using Porcelain grade sand. It's build in such a way that it's completely invisible from sea but it has the best views.
I always visit when I get invited in the summer as the waters are crystal clear and quiet.
Streep will be visiting the house for a holiday in 2009 as a guest. (unfortunately, not WITH me)
X
Angel