Tuesday, July 29, 2008

BridesHead revisted - revisited

I saw Brideshead revisted last night, the movie I blogged about a week or so ago HERE. A few people have asked me what I thought about it, so I'll cover my bases here. I'm not sure what I thought of it. On the one hand, it was a visual feast - the filmography was reminicent of Atonement I think - beautifully shot. The 'sets' were of course magnificent -how could they not be as they were shot on location.
However.............You know how I wondered how they could fit 8 hours into 2 hours and 15 minutes? They cut out about 3/4 of the story - it whizzed by me like a motorcyclist on a suicide mission. You never got a clear understanding of many of the characters as they were confined to one-liner transparent characterizations. The beauty of the book and of the miniseries from 1981 is that they explore these characters, flush them out (the miniseries perhaps more in depth than the novel in some ways).
However, I realize if you have no prior experience with Brideshead Revisited -you might not notice. If you see it and think something is missing however -IT IS! But definitely go to see it if only for the sets and costumes alone - and also the brilliant Emma Thompson who is marvelous - gurlfriend can ACT!

7 comments:

pve design said...

Oh, I so want to see it,even if it was condensed.
I love Emma, something about her lips and her ACTing! Thanks for your post.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

You hit the nail on the head -it's a condensed version of the story! Abridged.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Ladies an Gentlemen for viewing the Cliff-note version of Brideshead Revivited, Please feel free to pick up your copy of "101 things we omitted but thought ought to know." at the door.

Anonymous said...

I didn't even know that a movie version was being released until I read about it on your blog. I LOVE the book and admittedly have not seen the miniseries. About 15 minutes in I wished I would have brought my ipod so i could just "look at the pretty pictures". Not only was it heinously abridged, but I hated the way they conflated Charles' relationships with Sebastian AND Julia and succeeded in making him look like a total gold digging social climber!! Sorry, I don't want to be "that guy" bitching about how the book is better than the movie. It just felt like the movie was artifice for the sake of artifice (and not in an ironic way). It is like it was a beautiful set full of cardboard cutouts threatening to fall over at any moment. I have to admit it was orgasmically beautiful though!!

Chadwick Glockenspiel

Janet said...

But, how killer was that scene at the summer house, drinking wine and eating strawberries? Ahhhh, and Castle Howard. Sigh. I have the mini-series on Netflix for next week.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Janet, you will LOVE the miniseries!!! Let me know what you think of it; I may have to rewatch it!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Chadwick, I totally agree with you. I think you will really enjoy the miniseries though -check it out and let me know what you think!